Point de Bascule n’endosse pas le contenu de ce document. Il est archivé sur ce site uniquement à des fins de référence.
Point de Bascule does not endorse the content of this document. It is archived on this website strictly for reference purposes.
Mustafa KHATTAB – Curriculum Vitae
Original address: http://mustafakhattab.weebly.com/cv.html
Mailing Address: 13070-113St. Edmonton, AB, T5E 5A8
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.mustafakhattab.weebly.com
YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/mustafakhattab
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
* MA & BA with Honors in Islamic Studies in English from Al-Azhar University (Egypt). PhD is in progress.
* 5 years of experience as an imam in the USA & Canada.
* 7 years of experience in teaching Islamic Studies in English at Azhar Univ., Cairo.
* Instructor of Islamic Studies, Clemson University, OLLI, Clemson, SC, USA
* Co-translator of the whole Qur’an into English, 2004.
* A visiting Fulbright interfaith scholar (Aug.-Dec. 2007 & Sep. 2008-Feb. 2009).
* 10 years of experience in the field of Islamic translation (Arabic into English & vice versa).
* 5 years of experience in Islamic media productions.
* Deep understanding of Islam as well as its legal rulings.
* Excellent Islamic background based on Azhar’s educational programs.
* Ability to give public speeches both in Arabic and English.
* Knowing the entire Qur’an by heart with Ijaza in Hafs style of recitation.
* Basic knowledge of Christianity, Judaism, and the Bible.
* Azhar University, Islamic Studies in English Dept, Faculty of Languages & Translation, Cairo, Egypt
–Assistant Lecturer, November 2007—present
–Teaching Assistant, July 2003—May 2007
* Al-Rashid Mosque, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Feb. 2011 to present
–Official Imam. Visit the mosque’s website at: (www.alrashidmosque.ca)
* Islamic Society of Clemson (ISC), Ramadan/September 2007 – January 2011, South Carolina, USA
–Official Imam. Visit website: (http://www.clemsonmasjid.org/imam.html). My role is to satisfy the religious & spiritual needs of the Muslim community in Clemson and neighboring cities, lead daily prayers & services, lead da’wa efforts and spread awareness of Islam, give lectures & teach at ISC school, tend to the needs of Muslim inmates in South Carolina prisons, family counseling, help with youth activities, officiate Islamic marriages, interact & build bridges of understanding with other faith communities, etc.
* Clemson University, Clemson, South Carolina, USA
–Instructor, “Islam from Within” course, OLLI Program, Fall 2009, Spring 2010, & Fall 2010.
* Fulbright-Hays Summer Program in Egypt
–Academic Advisor, 2007
* Fulbright Interfaith Community Action Program (ICAP) in the U.S.A. August 25-December 15, 2007 (then ICAP Follow-up Program Award September 2008-February 2009)
–Visiting scholar, I lectured and participated in dialogue at a number of schools and places of worship in different U.S. states.
* The American Open University, Cairo Branch
–Instructor, June-August 2007
From 2007 to present, as an imam in the U.S.A. & Canada and a Fulbright interfaith scholar, I participated in dialogue, represented Islam and/or the Muslim community, or lectured on “Islam; the common grounds between Islam, Christianity, and Judaism; and misconceptions about Islam” at:
Churches, Synagogues, and Temples:
– Concordia Lutheran Seminary, Edmonton, AB, Canada (2 lectures: What Islam Is (Not) & JuChrIslam, Jan. 26, 2012).
– Boulevard Baptist Church, International Dinner, Anderson, SC, USA (Nov. 7, 2010).
– University Baptist Church, Annual International Day, Clemson, SC, USA (Oct. 9, 2010).
– Saint John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, Walhalla, SC, USA, 2 presentations (June 6 & 13, 2010).
– The Episcopal Church of the Ascension, Seneca, SC, USA , 2 presentations (March 7 & 14, 2010).
– Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Clemson, Clemson, SC, USA, presentation on Islam (Feb. 28, 2010).
– First Baptist Church of Clemson, Clemson, SC, USA (Oct. 1st, 2009).
– Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Clemson, Clemson, SC, USA–panelist (Sep. 10, 2009).
– Clemson United Methodist Church, Clemson, SC, USA (Jan. 11, 2009).
– Keowee Key (Marina Villas), Salem, SC, USA (Jan. 31, 2009).
– Saint Mark United Methodist Church, Seneca, SC, USA (Nov. 30, 2008).
– Seneca Presbyterian Church, Seneca, SC, USA , 2 lectures (Apr. 23 & May 7, 2008).
– The First Church of Christ, Congregational, Redding Center, CT, USA (Oct. 28, 2007).
– The First Church of Christ, Congregational, Farmington, CT, USA (Nov. 11, 2007).
– The First Church of Christ, Unionville, CT, USA (Nov. 13, 2007).
– The First Church of Christ, Glastonbury, CT, USA (Nov. 14, 2007).
– Trinity Episcopal Church, Tariffville, CT, USA (Nov. 25, 2007).
– United Methodist Church of Hartford, Hartford, CT, USA (Dec. 2, 2007).
– The First Church of Christ, Simsbury, CT, USA (Dec. 12, 2007).
– The Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels, Los Angeles, CA, USA (Sep. 2007).
– The Sinai Temple (Synagogue), Los Angeles, CA, USA (Sep. 2007).
– Beth David Synagogue, W. Hartford, CT, USA (Nov. 2007).
– Garden Shartse Thubten Dhargye Ling (Buddhist Temple), Long Beach, CA, USA (Sep. 2007).
– The Hindu Malibu Temple, Los Angeles, CA, USA (Sep. 2007).
– University of California-Santa Barbara UCSB, CA, USA (Aug.-Sep. 2007).
– University of California-Los Angeles UCLA, CA, USA (Sep. 2007).
– Temple University (Philadelphia, PA, USA, October 2007).
– Hartford Seminary, Hartford, CT, USA (Oct.-Dec. 2007).
– Saint Joseph College, Hartford, CT, USA (Nov. 11, 2007).
– Clemson University, Clemson, SC, USA (on several occasions, 2008-2010).
– Furman University, Greenville, SC, USA (on several occasions, Sep.-Nov. 2010).
– Georgian College, Ontario, Canada (one presentation, Feb. 8, 2011).
– Amiskwaciy Academy, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (multi-faith prayer, 2011, Basketball Provincial Championships opening ceremony, March 17, 2011).
– Edmonton Islamic Academy, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (on several occasions 2011-2012).
– Somali-Canadia Cultural Society of Edmonton, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (keynote speaker at high school graduation ceremony, June 29, 2011).
– Glengarry School, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (guest speaker, Oct. 6, 2011).
– Queen Elizabeth High School, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (guest speaker at Eidul-Adha dinner party, Nov. 8, 2011).
– University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (speaker at the Muslim Students’ Association, Islamic Awareness Week, lecture title: “The Qur’an: Myths & Reality,” Feb. 7, 2012). See link: ( http://msauofa.com/2012/01/iaw-keynote-speakers/). Again on March 1, 2012, a lecture on misconceptions about Muslim Women, Tory Building 3-65. Also on April 4, 2012, guest speaker at the UofA MSA’s 1st annual interfaith week, theme “Faith & the Environment.”
– NAIT, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (speaker at the Muslim Students’ Association, Islamic Awareness Week, lecture title: “What Islam Is (NOT),” Feb. 29, 2012). Again on May 3, 2012: a lecture on Islam (R. Club).
– Grant MacEwan, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (guest speaker at the Muslim singles event, March 2, 2012).
– Killarney Junior High School, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (Speaker, Health Day: Islamic Sex Ed, 2 lectures: grades 7, 8, & 9 on May 17, 2012).
– Hartford Hospital (Chapel), Hartford, CT, USA (one khutbah, Oct. 26, 2007).
– AnMed Health, Anderson, SC, USA–panelist, Rights & Needs of Muslim patients (Sep. 11, 2008).
– Oconee Medical Center, opening new patient tower chapel, Seneca, SC, USA (Nov. 19, 2009).
– Royal Alex Hospital and some other hospitals in Edmonton, AB, Canada (visiting chaplain), 2011-2012).
Islamic centers & Organizations:
– Islamic Association of Greater Hartford, Berlin, CT, USA (on several occasions 2007).
– Islamic Society of Greenville, SC, USA (on several occasions, 2007-2010).
– Jamaat Ibad Ar-Rahman (aka Islamic Center of Durham), NC, USA (on several occasions, 2008-2009).
– Mohammad Mosque 14, Hartford, CT, USA (one khutbah or Friday sermon and prayer on Dec. 7, 2007).
– Masjid Al-Rahman, Pawtucket, Rhode Island, USA (one khutbah, November 2007).
– Islamic Center of Fayetteville, NC, USA (Aug. 8, 2009).
– Islamic Center of Greensboro, NC, USA “The Image of Islam & Muslims on Fox News” (July 24, 2010).
– The Barrie Mosque, Barrie, Ontario, Canada (one lecture, Feb. 8, 2011).
– Al-Ameen Islamic Center, Edmonton, Canada (one lecture “Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good Poeple,” May 28, 2011).
– Alberta Somali Islamic Institution of Edmonton, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (lecture on “Challenges Facing Muslim Youth in Canada,” Nov. 11, 2011). see lecture here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejdform2kJ4
– ICNA/Edmonton Chapter, Alberta, Canada (Eidul-Adha dinner party at the Meridian Banquet Hall, lecture on “Legacy of Abraham,” Nov. 10, 2011).
– Alberta’s Parliament (Legislature Building), guest at the 1st Session of the Twenty-Eighth Legislature (May 24, 2012).
–Liberal Party Convention, round-table conversation with Senator James Cowan & Senator Grant Michell about the challenges facing the Muslim community in Edmonton (Delta Edmonton South Hotel, June 23, 2012).
* South Carolina Department of Corrections SCDC, January 2009-January 2011
–Volunteer Chaplain: the goal of this endeavor is to reach out to Muslim inmates (mostly African-American) in SC prisons to educate them about the true, moderate message of Islam, tend to their religious and spiritual needs, and to prepare them to be better individuals once they are out of jail.
* Fajr Channel (Qur’an Channel)
–Senior Consultant of the Reciters’ Selection Committee, Fajr Satellite Channel, Cairo Office 2004-05.
–Assistant of the General Manager, Department of Competitions, Fajr Channel, Cairo Office, 2005.
–Senior Translator of Isha (night prayers) aired from the Sacred Mosque in Mecca. Translation done at the channel’s studios in the Egyptian Media Production City, 6th of October City, 2005.
–Deputy Manager of the Interactive Services Department, Fajr Channel, 2005.
* Dawn Productions (Islamic Media Productions Company)
—Full-time Translator, 2003-04. As a member of the Dawn Translation Team, I participated in:
* Broadcasting the simultaneous English translation of the 2003 Ramadan Night Prayers (Taraweeh) directly from the Sacred Mosque’s TV studios in Mecca.
* Translating the company’s official websites: www.dawnpro.com and www.taraweeh.com.
* Monitoring the first simultaneous French translation of the 2004 Taraweeh prayers from the Prophet’s Mosque’s TV studios in Medina.
* Translating and preparing programs for the London-based Islam Channel.
* Almajd International (now called Huda TV), 2002-03
–Translator. During my work for Al-Majd, I prepared as well as participated in some programs and did many Islamic translations, the most important of which is the first simultaneous English translation of the Taraweeh Prayers from the Sacred Mosque in Mecca.
* IQRA’ Satellite Channel (Islamic Channel)
–Freelance Translator of Islamic programs (into English), 1999 – 2001.
* Noon TV
–Vice President, Administration, (under construction) 2006-07.
* Freelance Translator (into English). Contact Prof. Reda Bedeir, email: email@example.com. Read the whole translation * Other
–Unofficial Imam, a mosque in Cairo 1999.
–Private Arabic tutor for native English speakers 1999-2001.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION
* PhD Program, March 2008-Present (PhD topic: “The Image of Islam & Muslims in the American Media with a Special Reference to Fox News (Post 9/11).” My PhD proposal was examined and approved by both Hartford Seminary’s November 2007 Collegial Sharing Session (Hartford, CT, U.S.A.) and the Islamic Studies in English Department’s faculty meeting at Azhar University (Cairo, Egypt) in January 2008.
* M.A. Degree (Master’s Thesis: “The Nation of Islam (NOI) in the U.S.A.” The Ideology & Role of the Movement in the American Society), Islamic Studies Division, English Department, Azhar University, Cairo, Egypt 2004-2007. M.A. degree obtained on May 9, 2007 with distinction. Session for the Examination & Defense of the dissertation was covered in 3 episodes of Huda TV’s “Focus Points” program.
* Pre-Masters program in Islamic studies, English Dep., Azhar University, Cairo, 2002-04.
* B.A. Degree in Islamic Studies, 2002, Faculty of Languages & Translation, English Dept, Azhar Univ.
<Grade average of Excellent with Honors.
<Ranked first in the English Department.
<Ranked second in the whole faculty.
* Azhar Education: Preliminary School 1989, Preparatory School 1992, & Secondary Certificate 1997.
* Bridges Foundation, two courses on “Presenting Islam & Refuting Misconceptions,” April-May 2006. Website: www.bridges-foundation.org
* Human Resources course, MARC center, Al-Ahram Newspaper, February, 2006.
* Translating Speeches course at the American University in Cairo (AUC) in 2002.
* At Sight Translation course at Saleh Kamel Institute in 2000.
* Newspaper Translation course at Saleh Kamel Institute in 1999.
* English course at the British Council, Agouza in 1998.
* Private English tuition by Sadiq Long (U.S. Muslim), 2001, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
CONFERENCES & TRAINING
* Islamic Council of New England, 21st Conference, (October 2007), Massachusetts.
* AMJA/NAIF Imam Workshop (6-9 February 2009), Houston, Texas.
* NAIF 7th imams Annual Conference (5-8 February 2010), New York.
* MANA 1st Regional Conference (April 10, 2010), Atlanta, Georgia.
* Carolinas Imam Council CIC (a quarterly meeting of imams from NC & SC, member: 2008-2010).
* Inter-Masajid Shura (IMS) Council (a periodical meeting of representatives of mosques, Edmonton, AB: 2011-2012).
* RYC Youth Conference “Nation of Strangers,” Speaker (lecture: Religion vs. Tradition, Jan. 1, 2012), Edmonton, AB, Canada (Watch lecture here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYu8gXonlj8).
COMMAND OF ENGLISH
* TOEFL iBT: 112 out of 120.
* IELTS: 7.5 out of 9.
* GRE: Verbal (540), Quantitative (430).
-Marital status: Married (father of 3: Yasmin, Ziyad, & Noura).
-Date of Birth: July 1, 1977.
-Birthplace: Monofiya Governorate (about 50 miles to the north of Cairo).
-Military service: Exempted
-Languages: Arabic (mother tongue), English (excellent), German (fair).
-Hobbies: Reading, swimming, farming, biking, computing, surfing the internet, and Arabic calligraphy.
* Nedal Mefleh, President of the Islamic Society of Clemson. Phone: 864-710-3717. Email: email@example.com
* Imam Refaat Mohamed, Abo Omar, director of religious affairs Barrie Mosque, Barrie, Ontario, Canada. Phone: 705-331-7191. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Dr. Muhammad Abu-Laylah, Professor of Islamic Studies in English and ex-Head of the English Dept, Azhar University, Egypt. Cell Phone: +2 010 1230049
* Dr. Tanju Karanfil, former President of the Islamic Society of Clemson. Phone: 864-650-3609. Email: email@example.com
* Imam Amr Dabour, Ibad Ar-Rahman Islamic Center, Durham, NC. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Dr. Marilyn Gottschall, Chair of Religious Studies, Whittier Colledge, California. Email: email@example.com, phone: 562-253-6581.
PUBLICATIONS & MEDIA APPEARANCES
During my stay in the U.S.A., I contributed to or was interviewed/profiled by a number of American publications/news outlets including:
- Author of The Nation of Islam: The History, Ideology, and Development of the Black Muslim Movement in America (An Islamic Perspective), Lambert Academic Publishing, 2011: www.amazon.com/Nation-Islam-Ideology-Development-Perspective/dp/384651215X
- I contributed to Dr. Edward E. Curtis IV’s Encyclopedia of Muslim American History (www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Muslim-American-History-Edward-Curtis/dp/0816075751/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280147987&sr=8-1-spell). Contact Dr. Curtis at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- On Fox Carolina, Sep. 9, 2010: http://www.foxcarolina.com/local-video/index.html?grabnetworks_video_id=4334055
- I have been interviewed in 2011 by several Canadian news channels such as CBC and OMNI News.
- Praxis (Hartford Seminary, Hartford, Connecticut), April 2008, see my article on page 10-11: (http://www.hartsem.edu/about/Praxis/hs_praxis%20apr08.pdf)
- The Chronicle of Higher Education (Washington D.C.), December 21, 2007: (http://chronicle.com/weekly/v54/i17/17a02502.htm)
- Anderson Independent Mail, (Anderson, South Carolina), Friday, January 11, 2008: (http://www.independentmail.com/news/2008/jan/11/mondays-mustafa-conversations-new-imam-clemson-mos/)
- Anderson Independent Mail, (Anderson, South Carolina), Friday, December 12, 2008: (http://www.independentmail.com/news/2008/dec/12/different-holiday-celebrated-clemson-mosque/)
- Anderson Independent Mail, (Anderson, South Carolina), Friday, June 5, 2009:(http://www.independentmail.com/news/2009/jun/04/muslims-welcome-obamas-speech/)
- Interview with Imam Mustafa: North of Cairo, and Looking Up, Feb. 2011: www.nathanfelmore.com/north-of-cairo-and-looking-up/
- The Daily Journal, Seneca, SC, July 23, 2009: (http://www.upstatetoday.com/news/2009/jul/23/community-rallies-behind-jailed-teachers-assistant/)
- Institute of International Education 2007 Annual Report, page 13: (http://www.iie.org/PDFs/AnnualReport2007/IIEAnnualReport2007.pdf)
- Official Website of Fulbright Commission, Egypt: (www.fulbright-egypt.org/stories/docs/%7B0550CE90-C210-4758-B419-6295A8D3FD01%7D.doc)
- An article for Islam101, May 25, 2012 issue, Edmonton, Canada (http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=w9djsljab&v=001HMNYyGLsDvqWNAxj45sDwAtOmZQFYhXWUEUdHWZeRoiATBIiSE55g-9BKKbozMO0tOSdhLYKbitPs49tICXSK0diCC1zuXIe-157hQmajOEtgIf50o17jA%3D%3D).